About Mudalur

Mudular, meaning "first village was founded in 1799 by a group of recent Christian converts from Palayamkottai. The village's first settler, David Sundaranandan, sought to create a purely Christian settlement modeled after the biblical "City of Refuge". With the tireless efforts of David Sundaranandan and a generous donation from Captain Everet, a rectangular piece of land was purchased in the name of Reverend Jeanaicke in August 1799.

The Christians in Mudalur were continuously attacked by non-Christians. To prevent the annihilation of his people, David Sundaranandan joined with the young people of Mudalur to learn the weapon-based Indian martial art of "Silambam". The silambam team was named "Thadikambu Sena". Therefore, David Sundarandan became known as "Thadikambu David Sundarandan" and the "Lion of Mudalur" David Sundaranandan was the first martyr and first seed of Tirunelveli Church.

St.Michael and All Angels Church:

The first church in the village, built out of palm in 1799, was burnt down by non-Christians. Four years later, Reversed Sathyanathan built the second church. And the third church was built in 1816 using brick and mortar.After David Sundaranandan had died, Reverend H. B. Norman rendered excellent service to the village of Mudalur. He was an excellent architect, and he built a large church of western style within two years. It has a capacity of more than 2,000 people. The church was dedicated by Bishop Sargent on St. Andrew’s Day, 30 November 1883.The length of the church is 152 feet, and its breadth is 63 feet. A beautiful altar stands four feet high and has a dedicated place for the choir.

The church, constructed by Reverend H. B. Norman, was flat with low stories. So people of Mudalur built a 193-foot tower with seven floors. At the top of the tower, they placed a crown stone with a gold cross. The new church tower was dedicated on 29 September 1929 (St. Michael's Day).

Mudalur church has some unique architectural features. According to Biblical numerology, the number seven implies "totality of perfection" or "completeness". The church tower has seven floors, the inner church has exactly seven pillars, with seven arches on each side. The altar has exactly seven steps, and seven candlesticks in each side of the altar cross. Seven pendant lamps and a glass Heptagon (seven-sided polygon) decorate the altar.

Choir:

The first church in the village, built out of palm in 1799, was burnt down by non-Christians. Four years later, Reversed Sathyanathan built the second church. And the third church was built in 1816 using brick and mortar.After David Sundaranandan had died, Reverend H. B. Norman rendered excellent service to the village of Mudalur. He was an excellent architect, and he built a large church of western style within two years. It has a capacity of more than 2,000 people. The church was dedicated by Bishop Sargent on St. Andrew’s Day, 30 November 1883.The length of the church is 152 feet, and its breadth is 63 feet. A beautiful altar stands four feet high and has a dedicated place for the choir.

Festivals:

"Koil Prathistai" is Mudalur's largest festival. It is celebrated each year on St. Michael's Day (29 September). "அசனம்" called "Annadhanam" feast, sharing (தானம்) of food (அன்னம்) is another large festival. It is celebrated every year on 30 September. If the 29th or 30th falls on a Sunday, the feast is celebrated the next day. Other religious festivals like Christmas, Easter, and Deepavali are also celebrated grandly in Mudalur.